The One About "Groundbreaking" Fashion Trends

Every single spring, fashion magazines and websites do their best to persuade us that floral clothing and accessories are the hottest trend – yes, even hotter than Katniss Everdeen’s dresses in the Hunger Games. Such occasions always remind me of the following Miranda Priestly quote (played by no other but the one and only Meryl Streep) from The Devil Wears Prada: “Florals? For spring? Groundbreaking.”





As a result, when I stumbled upon a shopping article in the website of Marie Claire Greece that suggested that “mini skirts are in again” I thought "Wait a minute!" When did short skirts go out of fashion? Let me think about it… Most likely never? Even though the last couple years the long as well as the midi skirt have done a noticeable comeback, nothing was able to overthrow the dominance of short skirts. On the contrary; every time I step into a Bershka, Stradivarius, H&M or a Zara store (aka until recently my fashion temple), I’m under the impression that everything is constantly getting tighter and shorter.

Fashion has the tendency to repeat itself, you might say. We’re living in an era where mom jeans are thaaat close to making a major comeback. We tend to criticize our ancestors' fashion choices until fashion designers present them as new trends during fashion weeks all over the world. However, trying to reinvent the wheel in such an obvious way is not only silly, it’s also a sign of laziness only tree hugging sloths could possibly surpass.


I was thinking that I could write about the current fashion trends too, but then I regreted it. I thought, you would have already read about it in Vogue, Marie Claire, Cosmopolitan, WWD or whatever other press or online publication keeps you on your (fashion) toes and even though repetition is supposed to be the mother of knowledge, it wouldn’t have brought anything. In addition, I might constantly keep an eye on fashion trends, but I rarely follow them – on time. It’s either too early or too late, said the person who just jumped on the statement necklaces wagon. I just bought this one and I’m in l-o-v-e. Apart from my being a creature of habit - a guy friend of mine who I met recently asked if I still collect ballerinas; but of course!, which means I stick to staples that I like and that tend to make my morning routine easier, I've also noticed that I as well as most of the women that surround me go through phases. To give an example, my best friend was wearing only green and earth tones for a couple months while we were in high school (that followed the two years phase whilst she wore only black from head to toe). Right now I’m into boyfriend jeans worn with white shirts, loafers and little or no makeup. I’m giving the whole “I don’t care how I look; I just put on the first couple things that I found in my closet this morning” look a try. This lookbook is my current inspiration board. On the other hand, I’m looking forward to wearing backless dresses with spaghetti straps in summer. All in all, it just comes down to what appeals to you. In my opinion, everyday street style, old magazines and personal blogs are far more interesting and inspirational fashion-wise than mainstream press.

F.


PS: Facebook anyone? Tweet me maybe?



Follow on Bloglovin



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!

 

Meet The Blogger

Full-time daydreamer writing about fashion, love, food, traveling and beyond.