Carrie Bradshaw Would Not Approve

I just read an article at College Fashion suggesting why we -women- should dress up every single day that really made me think. Not because I'm opposed to dressing up and making some effort.Indeed,for those who know me I'm the queen of dressing up (At this point I'd like to thank all of my close friends for coping with my extraordinarily dressed up outfits that I liked to wear at school.) However,lately -or should I better say since my college life began- I subconsciously tend to dress much more casually, toning down all my eye-catching outfits.

Actually,right now I'm going through a quite minimalistic period, honoring all the classic pieces (aka the blue and white striped tees,skinny black trousers and skinny dark jeans,the eternal beige trench and my beloved leather-like-looking jackets).And on top of all that I also wear Converse.Yes,you've read right. Not that I've given up on my favorite flats but I'm now obliged -by the weather- to wear sneackers and those ugly plastic shoes that try to look like boots and are made for rainy days.

So,I was going through a list of reasons why we should dress up and cought myself thinking:

"What has happened to you?"

Maybe it's the fact that I now read more Stockholm and Amsterdam based fashion blogs, where the outfits are very chic yet much more simplistic than in italian and american ones.

Maybe it is the fact that aliens kidnapped me and surgically removed what was left of my fried-beacuse-of-being-exposed-to-music-and-movies-of-really-low-quality brain.

Or maybe I decided (subconsciously once again) that since the people around me doesn't want to go the (fashion) distance, I don't have to go either.

So,I picked a couple of those reasons so as to function as my dressing up mantras in the future.Enjoy!

  1. Because life’s too short to blend in. Don’t settle for average.(I mean,YOU KNOW ME,right?)
  2. Because it obviously annoys some people (like the guy who asks why YOU are so dressed up). The fact that it annoys them so much is all the more reason to keep doing it.
  3. Because dressing up helps you make fashion mistakes and get past them. Mistakes happen to everyone and that’s how you learn what not to do – get them out of the way now! (Oh,boy!I know that first-hand.)
  4.  Because Carrie Bradshaw would not approve of your sweatpants and UGG boots. You can do better than that. And deep down, you know I’m right.

What do you think?

F.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!

 

Meet The Blogger

Full-time daydreamer writing about fashion, love, food, traveling and beyond.